tang on ejector

Questions and discussions and troubleshooting Lee Load Master presses

Moderator: darwin

carload9

tang on ejector

Postby carload9 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:06 am

dont forget to do "shadowdog500" ,, (type into youtube) ejector mod.

A small ball/peen hammer and anvil to peen (tang) it out on! Makes many problems go away with LLM. The metal is soft and go slow, its easy to do. Just bend the tang down.

dglock

Re: tang on ejector

Postby dglock » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:10 pm

carload9 wrote:dont forget to do "shadowdog500" ,, (type into youtube) ejector mod.

A small ball/peen hammer and anvil to peen (tang) it out on! Makes many problems go away with LLM. The metal is soft and go slow, its easy to do. Just bend the tang down.

What is the purpose of that mod?

don

sddtx

Postby sddtx » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:42 pm

I believe that shadowdog's mod was to extend the ejector to a point where it touched the rib on the carrier to prevent the ejector from moving causing the shellplate to move in a more consistent manner when indexing. I'm not sure if this picture shows that. What is the purpose of bending the ejector over the edge of the shellplate?

myloadm61

Postby myloadm61 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:40 pm

sddtx, you are exactly correct about shaowdog's mod. It was to keep the shellplate from rotating after it had been advanced when the tensiojn went off of the indexing rod and the "nubs" on the bottom of the shellplate.

carload9

yep

Postby carload9 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:09 pm

and to keep the square below from getting rounded off. Under the nut and ejector.

Froznone

Postby Froznone » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:35 pm

How does the Mod pictured keep the ejector from rotating?
It looks like it contacts the shell plate as it bends over it - that should make the problem Worse not better.

The correct mod is to extend the 'tang' until it is just past the edge of the rib on the carrier. That rib can be seen hiding the tip of the tang in the above photos. Do NOT bend it down. It should contact the left side of the rib as seen in the pix.

carload9

froz

Postby carload9 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:22 pm

froznone; did you watch the video?

Froznone

Postby Froznone » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:50 pm

carload9 wrote:froznone; did you watch the video?

DID YOU???

Look at 3:40 see the change? Extend the tang outward.
and again at 4:00 see how the tip of the tang extends out past the 'rib'?
It's not bent down it's extended straight out.

Pay particular attention at 4:40 to what he says.

long story short - You have screwed the pooch on YOUR mod.

I have had a version of this mod in place for more than 3 years.
I say 'a version' because I don't need to stop the extractor from reversing.
I have a modded carrier that prevents that from happening.
In fact I don't use that little part of the extractor that fits in the holes in the shell plate at all, I cut it off.

Instead I prevent the extractor from moving counter clockwise as the shell hits it for extraction. So my extractor is the opposite of his. The 'tit' is on the right side of the rib, and I don't need one on the left there is nothing moving the extractor in that direction..

Froznone

Postby Froznone » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:18 pm

here are pix of the mod done correctly:

BTW Here are the carrier Mods:

There is a aluminum pawl carrier 'box' epoxied into place.
The pawl, spring and pivot are built on this box, then the assembly is set into the epoxy
The pawl itself is a modified sear from a Ruger 10/22.
The hole in the epoxy near the edge is to allow powder to drain away from under the shell plate should a primer be missed.

carload9

yea your rite

Postby carload9 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:00 am

your rite, but this one works good, It cant go toward primer area. Really cant go backward much either. If it act's up, I could lift it up over flange.

His idea should be standard equipment.

My llm is running 45's rite at 100%.

Froznone

Re: yea your rite

Postby Froznone » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:15 am

carload9 wrote:...It cant go toward primer area. Really cant go backward much either. ....

It does nothing. The mod is to prevent the wear on the square portion of the carrier and prevent that wear , if already present, from effecting operation.

All that means is your press doesn't YET show the wear.

carload9

Postby carload9 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:02 pm

yea, i will straighen mine out when i get a chance, bout 10 mins with my lil' ball/peen hammer.

myloadm61

Postby myloadm61 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:05 pm

Frozone, can't make heads or tails out of your pics, quality is so poor, unless it's just my computer, but don't think so.

prs

Postby prs » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:28 pm

I agree that the OP's version of Shadowdog's mod is NOT going to perform as per the original intent, glad he is gonna change it. It has been working because the original Lee design works fine as long as the square shoulders on the carrier's center post are not damaged and the matching square hole in the ejector is not damaged. If those are not damaged, all is well. I do not think "wear" is the issue, but rather damage from being in a jamb or several jambs.

prs

Froznone

Postby Froznone » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:22 pm

No the rounding is caused by normal use - 1000s and 1000s of cycles however.
Jams just speed it up considerably.

When the indexer is pulled out it moves the shell clockwise, and the extractor along with it. When the cartridge is ejected it pushes the extractor counterclockwise. this movement, slight as it is is against the square part of the carrier.

Sorry about he pix, the last 2 are shot from the left side of the LM and my carrier is black not silver. I used a cellphone, it doesn't shoot macro very well.

Return to “Load Master forum”